Friday, April 29, 2016

Learning Challenge: Killing Boredom with Procrastination

(A funny image about citations, via Flickr)

This is the article I'm referencing in this post (it's a beautiful article. If you're wondering whether you should read it, you should!)

So the title of this article is "Two for One Deal: Killing Boredom with Procrastination." I read that phrase and got really intrigued, because the kind of boredom that I  think of when I think of things I want to procrastinate on are not actually boring. But it turns out that there's lots of kinds of boredom, and the one this article is referencing is apathetic boredom--or a feeling of helplessness and depression in the face of a large, scary task.

This article is beautiful because, now that I think about it, that feeling actually is boredom. And it's conquerable, through the stress management techniques that are laid out in the article before. I've been conquering this kind of boredom all along, when I've been cleaning the apartment instead of writing that essay I was supposed to start writing yesterday.

Except when I've run out of time, and there's no time to procrastinate.

So I guess the answer is to start things earlier, so that I have time to procrastinate in the right way? Do I think that would help? Probably, yeah...especially this coming Dead Week...I have a huge paper due on Wednesday that I've been putting off writing, but what I'll do tomorrow morning is do up the citations and organize my notes.

And then I'll write. And it'll be great...yeah...

No comments:

Post a Comment