Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Week 1 Storytelling: St. Ives

(Statue of Ancient Egyptian cat at the Museum of Fine Arts of Lyon, via Wikipedia. Redistributed under the terms of the CeCILL.


I would have stopped and bartered with the merchant, but I did not, in fact, like the look of him. His eyes glinted like coins, and his teeth flashed like knives, lining a cavernous smile. His wives outnumbered him seven to one, every one of them mounted, veiled, and trailed by seven more camels dripping with jewels, a large, gilded sack draped gracefully over each hump. Altogether, the effect was quite impressive—although, I thought, in a quiet, private part of my mind, he’ll draw thieves like a watering hole draws lions.

I did not hail him, did not stop. Instead, he hailed me.

“Young fellow!” he cried, as the ranks of his company came rippling to a halt behind him. “Young fellow, whatever your heart desires—I have it!”

My eyes came to rest dubiously on the wives. Their eyes came to rest dubiously on me, gazes sumptuous under their many-colored veils. The camels glowered at me through long lashes. I had the strangest feeling that the sacks were watching me also, but no doubt it was just my discomfort with the merchant spreading to his entourage, like one fruit spreading its rot to the others in the barrel.

My doubt as to the attractiveness of his wares must have shown in my eyes, because he was still speaking. “Perhaps a comb?” he asked. “Or a glass flower, for the lady that walks your dreams? A scarf—of the finest silk? Or a coat?” He gestured to his own, the linen stiff with lurid embroidery. “Anything, my good fellow—anything! May I ask where Your Most Noble Self is going? Are there no others in your party?”

“I travel to the Holy City,” I said, casting down my eyes. It was the barest gesture of respect, but I didn’t trust him out of my sight for longer. “And there are no others—only myself.”

He exclaimed in wonder. “A pilgrim! Then would Your Most Devout Self desire a camel? It is some ways to the Holy City, and a long walk for only two feet. I know—I left through its high gates no less than five days hence, and have traveled at full speed to reach here."

“I desire nothing, Most Salubrious Sir,” I replied. “Except, perhaps—may I ask what the sacks on your camels hold? Their contents do not seem to be coats or combs.”

“Ah—“ he said. He paused for a long moment. “The contents of the sacks are not for sale. I am most apologetic. Official business, I’m afraid; instructions from His Holiest. Not for sale. But—“ he licked his lips. “Perhaps you, Most Pious Sir, would like to see? Just for a moment, you understand.”

I wasn’t so sure the sacks didn’t hold the bodies of other Most Pious Sirs, who had similarly been tricked into looking within, but I nodded, fighting the urge to laugh at the merchant, who was trying his best to emanate Official Holiness and Grandiose Generosity yet only managing Vague Discomfort. “It would be an honor,” I managed, with the merest of lip twitches, “to know a secret which otherwise only His Holiest may know.”

“Very well, then. Aminah?” At his gesture, the smallest and brightest of his wives rode forward and dismounted. She met my eyes for a brief second—hers were the same rich brown as a camel’s—and by her gaze, wavering and wary, I knew her to be the youngest as well. Her fingers fumbled with the ties to the sack, and I tried to move unthreateningly as I stepped forward to look over her shoulder, into the mouth of the sack.

Many pairs of eyes gazed back at me, luminous and leery. Some of the cats were sleeping, but most were very alert, and quite angry with their prison: ears twitched and tails thrashed. They were the finest I had ever seen, with bright coats and proud faces, and each attempted to nurse seven kits from its precarious perch within the sack.

“Most fine, are they not?” The merchant’s arm swept into my vision, rings winking in the sunlight. “Bred by His Holiness himself. They are a present.”

A present to whom? I thought. But I took a step backwards as I nodded. “Well then,” I said, softly, tearing my gaze away from sight of Aminah tying up the sack again. “If they are not for sale, I’m afraid none of your wares can tempt me. I wish safe travels to Your Most Generous Self.”

We parted ways, him with his jingling beacon of an entourage and me in my worn clothes, alone. Several miles on, I stopped for the night. As the cool wind of the desert night swept across the sand, I opened my tattered coat and pulled out the furry body I had been cradling close to my breast. Stroking my finger across the soft dome of its head, I leaned down and breathed in the milky, musty scent of its fur. The kit rumbled contentedly in its sleep.

My lips twitched again, and this time I didn’t stifle my smile—holy cats were good luck, and this one had been bred by His Holiness. It also liked me much better than it liked the merchant.

And so not one, but two, traveled to the Holy City.


Author's Note:

This story is (very loosely) based off a nursery rhyme/riddle that goes like this:

As I was going to St. Ives,
I met a man with seven wives;
Every wife had seven sacks,
Every sack had seven cats,
Every cat had seven kits:
Kits, cats, sacks, and wives.
How many were there going to St. Ives?

I had a lot of questions about these seven lines. For instance: who is the person telling the story? Where is St. Ives? How did the man have seven wives? And how did they put cats in sacks without a lot of complaining?

Turns out, St. Ives is a small seaside town in Cornwall, England. But that didn't make any more sense for the number of wives, so I decided to take some liberties with the setting of the story: mine takes place in a kind of "fairy tale" version of the Middle East that many fairy tales/nursery rhymes from the 1800s take place in, which I want to stress is NOT culturally, religiously, linguistically, or geographically accurate. But it is very handy in a pinch. And from there, I knew my viewpoint character--he just kind of appeared as I started writing, complete with wry humor and pick-pocketing skills (although I suppose in this case they could be called kit-pocketing skills?)--and the story began to take shape.

Bibliography:

Author Unknown. (1897) "As I Was Going to St. Ives". The Nursery Rhyme Book. Ed. by Andrew Lang. Via Project Gutenberg.


10 comments:

  1. I liked your story a lot and the way of writing it. When I start reading your first paragraph I knew that you have a very wide knowledge of Arabic novels and how the writers in the Middle East have their own style of telling stories and you had this great style in your writing. I know when reading a line like “I met a man with seven wives” always come to people minds that this is something can be found in the Middle East , but you used this idea in very good way to tell you story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked your way of telling the story. You did a fantastic job at creating story based on your questions. Moreover, you used first person narration, which I am not used to it, but It was really easy to ready and focus. I liked your main character. His talking and thinking made story way excited. You did a wonderful job at creating a story from rhyme. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved all of the names you used in the story! I think my favorite was "Most Salubrious Sir." I also really loved that you changed the setting as I think it added some depth to the story.
    It really surprised me that he had one of the kittens at the end. Your story made me wonder how he got a hold of it when the wife was standing right there. Maybe he is a trained pick-pocket? Or maybe the wife knew he took it but let him as revenge against her husband? I am curious how you could expand the story to explain how it happened. I did really like the element of surprise there though.
    I was wondering if breaking up some of the sentence lengths in the parts that are not dialogue. Perhaps it would make the story flow to a different rhythm and easier to digest.
    Overall, I love your version of this story and cannot wait to read more of your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

  5. Kathryn, I loved your story! Please read my comments that came to mind while I was reading your story. You should be able to piece together which part of the story I was on when I made the comment. I really enjoyed your story and it all made sense once I read your note at the end. It answered some of the questions that I had and I respect the fact that you did your research and made some valid points about your choice, as well. Great story, girl!

    Your story is good, but I would have to say that it is kind of difficult to follow along with, due to your writing style.
    (Comments as I read along)

    Okay, so in this story, it’s clear… the merchant had A LOT of wives and even more money. I can imagine what that would have looked like to see him with his wives with their grand attire, and then with their camels draped in jewels as well.

    Oh goodness, the young man better be careful looking into this bag that merchant is carrying, filled with items not for sale.

    *I’m really loving how you’re building up to the point of the guy looking into the bag. It’s very suspenseful and I’m loving it!

    There were cats inside the bags. Interesting! I wonder how big the sacks could have possibly been for there to be so many cats, and seven kittens per each.

    HE TOOK A KITTEN! Wow! I wonder if the merchant realized this. I hope it really does bring him bad luck, because if not, I’m sure that merchant will track him down for stealing one the “gifts.”

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow this was a great story! I never expected him to take a kitten. How sly?! I think your take on the nursery rhyme is so creative and wonderful. I like how you bring the story full circle by creating a appropriate setting to have seven wives. Also the suspense and secrecy makes for a fun read. All of the commas in the beginning are a bit confusing for me. Maybe rewording a few of those sentences could add better flow for the start of your story. Overall, I thought it was a great read and I look forward to seeing more of your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, I have read this story before and I loved it, and now it is a part of your portfolio! I am so glad you chose to keep working with it. I remember that I thought it was great originally, but I think I fell head-over-heels in love with it this time. I do not quite know what you changed or edited but it worked wonders! Despite knowing what would happen your story had me hanging onto every last word. Your descriptive style captured my imagination and let it run wild. Wow, I just really love this story and how creative it is to be based off of such a short nursery rhyme. The only suggestion I have is to keep working at varying the sentence structure in parts with many long sentences. I think it would help the readability. Other than that I have absolutely no complaints. This story is fantastic, well done! I really look forward to reading your next addition to your portfolio.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are an excellent writer! The language that you used was perfect for the story and made me feel like I was deep in the middle east. It made me feel like I was in Aladdin or something along those lines. All the descriptions of the characters and people in the story were so vivid. I felt like I got a great mental image from your writing. I really liked the ending of the story too. I couldn't help but dislike the merchant and so hearing that the main character stole a kitten from him gave me some satisfaction. I also thought about how the merchant probably grew up through struggle and hardship and maybe that is why he was doing what he was doing and trying tot make advantage of people. Maybe you could explain the merchant's background to give two different perspectives of the encounter? Maybe it could show how the merchant wasn't the bad guy in this scenario but the victim? This could make the story a bit more surprising. I think it is amazing that you came up with this story from the nursery rhyme. That nursery rhyme is so short so it is really cool to see your creativity come alive in the story. Great job all around it was a really enjoyable read!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was a really interesting story! I like the ending the most when the traveler finally gets to see what is in the sacks! I was on edge wondering what could possibly be in them. I love that they were holy cats, and that the traveler secretly sneaks one away! This was a great story to create out of that six line poem. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Kathryn! You did a wonderful transforming the simple nursery rhyme into a gorgeous story set to be seen in a movie like The Scorpion King! Your writing style is beautiful and you have a good tone throughout. You also are very careful about staying away from passive tone which is refreshing! I loved the ending with the small kitten, because everyone needs a traveling companion. It would be very interesting to see how these two companions continued on their way! Perhaps consider them for your next story as well, I would certainly enjoy that! The picture you have at the top finally clicked once the cats were mentioned in the story and it was nice to see a depiction of the Holy cats. I also think you did a great job researching further into your topic since you were given so little with the nursery rhyme! Overall, you did a marvelous job and I can’t wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete