Tuesday, January 19, 2016

My Favorite Places

This post, as most indiscreetly hinted in the title, will be about some of my favorite places. I have many more than three--but I'm limiting myself! So, without further ado, some of the places that have captured my heart:

("King Neptune, Virginia Beach" by Missy Schmidt via Flickr)


When my family and I visited Virginia Beach for the first time, I was 14. I fell in love instantly--not just with the beach, but with the atmosphere of the town, and the boardwalk, and even the hotel we stayed at. I love the breeze that blows at night, and the mist that rolls in off the ocean, and the sunrise, and even the thunderstorms. It's a beautiful, beautiful place, and my family and I have gone back almost every year since then. I once saw a Carbon Leaf concert in front of this statue. Like I said, good stuff.

A caveat however: don't go during full tourist season. Anytime during mid-April to mid-May the beach is still beautiful (and quite warm, by my standards, but I'm from the Northeast), but lacks the crowds that come streaming in during the summer.

Next is a place much closer to home; it's the place where all my family is from and where I grew up half the time. I'm talking about Vergennes, VT--a city which boasted the title "Smallest City in the USA" for a long, long time, before losing its claim to fame a few years ago. One of my favorite things to do there (besides hang around with various relatives) is walk around downtown, where you can see Vermont's tourist industry with its best, most cow-themed foot forward. My absolute favorite place to visit, though, is the library, which is old and posh and frighteningly historical:

("Bixby Library" by Gopats92 - Own work. Licensed under Public Domain via Wikipedia Commons)


Beautiful, isn't it? There's a dome. And statues. And an archaeological exhibit upstairs.

And last--but not least--is my favorite place in Oklahoma. It is where I look forward to spending my days, drinking coffee/tea, eating muffins, and reading (we'll pretend most of it's nice, relaxed reading for pleasure instead of frenzied reading for classes. Hey, a girl can dream, right?). It's my semester's first hello and last goodbye. It's the chocolate to my peanut butter, the creamer to my coffee, and the Boomer to my Sooner:

(Armchair at the University of Oklahoma; photo credit to Kathryn Jerome, January 2016)
And that's all for now, folks :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I was so excited when I saw that picture, Kathryn: a friend of mine often goes to Virginia Beach, and I had him take a picture of that statue so I could use it in one of my Latin blogs. I love this one with the setting sun; here is the picture he took: Virginia Beach's Neptune (see bottom of post). And how great that one of America's smallest cities (if not THE smallest) has a LIBRARY. That makes me happy. And the armchair is perfect: someone in Indian Epics titled his blog "Armchair Adventures" and used an armchair as the background for the blog. I wish you great armchair adventures here in folklore and mythology! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Virginia Beach! My parents took me there one time for a vacation and I absolutely loved it. It was the first time I had been to the ocean on the Atlantic side of the country, and I couldn't even believe how beautiful it was. I went in the summer and the beach wasn't too crowded, thankfully. Virginia is beautiful in general though! Oklahoma is also my favorite place. I'm from Texas but Oklahoma has really grown on me in the past four years!

    ReplyDelete