Sunday, May 1, 2016

Reflections on Storytelling

I think that the thing this class has forced me to do, and that I've been most proud of accomplishing, this semester, is writing (like, for real, starting, finishing, and revising) all of the stories that I have. Normally I have such a problem opening up Word and just starting a story, but I learned that if I have a prompt--or even several prompts combined into one--that gives me enough of a starting point that an opening line usually pops into my head and I can just get going! Finishing stories the stories that I did end up starting has also historically never been one of my strong points, so the fact that I did manage to finish as many as I did--even if it wasn't one every week--was awesome, because that's something I've never done before! Also, all of the editing challenges were really helpful, as they pushed me to look at some problematic aspects of my writing that I've never looked at as problematic before (*ahem* looking at you, commas and semicolons) and push to make them better (or at least more grammatically correct and less superfluous) (I don't think I'll ever loses the parentheses and dashes, though--would it even be me writing at that point? I'd be suspicious...).

Anyway, this class has really been a catalyst for my creativity, and now I'm inspired to go out and write more stories! Even if they're not as good as I'd like them to be the first time around...because there's always revising to fix that problem...

No comments:

Post a Comment