Sunday, May 1, 2016

Reading Evaluations: At the End

Oh my goodness, I don't think there weren't any readings that I didn't enjoy this semester. Some of my favorites were the Czech Folk Tales and the Spenser (if you have any more of the Spenser written in that prose-retold style that would be a wonderful addition, I think, because Britomart was amazing and I immediately wanted to read more of The Faerie Queen the next week but obviously didn't really have the time to do it outside of class). One thing that I, as a neurotic and obsessed anthropology student, would like is more info about the various ethnographic collections that you included in the Untextbook as a whole--if there's one thing this semester has taught me, it's to be eternally suspicious about ethnography from the early twentieth century, and my brain won't rest until I know how the tales were collected--but I thought that the collections here were in general very wonderful, and I really appreciated that you used some told in folk-style, because besides the fact that I think that's very cool it's also very ethical when the tales are being presented as primary source material (you probably already know all of this! But I'm reiterating that I appreciate that you did it this way...).

As for Reading Diary strategies, I usually ended up focusing on two or three tales and going into depth on how I could expand or contract or fudge with them to make my own Storytelling for that week--sometimes just rambling on for a paragraph about ideas was very helpful when I was feeling unoriginal later on in the week! I'd also talk about some similarities that I saw as a whole for all of the tales, if it was a collection, and try to come up with some way to put that similarity into the Storytelling as well...

As for tips for reading strategies: finish the readings early!! Even if you don't have time to read and write the reading diary post all in one sitting, it's so helpful to have done all the reading and only have to synthesize your thoughts if you're having to turn an assignment in last-minute. Just something that I found really helpful! Oh, and also jotting down random notes into a word file/on a piece of paper while I was reading, because a lot of times I would read and then not work on the Diary for a few days...whoops...but it all worked out, in the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment