Thursday, February 4, 2016

Week 3 Storytelling: The Consumption

(15th century ink illustration of St. Margaret slaying the dragon, by an unknown author, via Wikipedia Commons)

Author's Note: This story is kind of a gory one--please be aware if you have a weak stomach. I wasn't sure how to avoid description of wounds, though, in a story about a saint--in all the stories I read for this section, there was at least one mention of torture or beheading.

Anyway, though: this week's story is based off of a scene in the life of St. Margaret as described in the Golden Legend. The original in the Golden Legend follows the story of St. Margaret's life, from her birth as the daughter of a pagan prince and her conversion to Christianity, to the horrible tortures her father subjects her to in his aim to make her repent, to her eventual beheading. One of the most striking scenes in the story occurs during the night Margaret spends in prison after her father has had her stripped and beaten: a dragon appears and swallows her, but she makes the sign of the cross and is released from the dragon's stomach. The dragon then shape-shifts to its true form--that of a devil--and Margaret holds it captive and forces it to converse with her in order that she may know where it came from and why it is so bent on evil purposes. I chose this scene to follow because a) I love the potential for sensory description that dragons bring into a story and b) I wanted to try out a writing style that focused more on sensory description--in this case, touch--than my last story.

So, without further ado, here is the story...



Later, people would say that the dragon couldn’t have swallowed me; that, instead, I had simply made the sign of the cross and the beast had vanished into thin air. I can only say to you that whoever told this story could never have met a dragon in person, because then they would have known that dragons are quicker than asps and more cunning than weasels, and should one arrive suddenly with the intention of eating you, you would have no chance. Ignorants declaimed that my story was apocryphal because I was the one who told it—and, truly, who else could uphold my claim, when there had been none but the dragon and I in the prison that night? Though the prison-keepers swore that a blinding light had issued from the door, they were apt to bring their bottles with them to their posts, and none would readily believe them.

No matter. I will tell the story again, this time to you. Perhaps you will have more faith.

I was weeping when it came for me: weeping and praying. My eyes wept tears, and my wounds wept blood, and dark water dripped from the dungeon ceiling. The drops crashed to the floor in a steady rhythm, like the beating of the executioner’s drum to be heard on the morrow, or like the hot tongue of the provost’s whip that had licked my skin, again and again. The sting of my earlier screams was a knife in my throat. My tortured body was all aflame with ache, and my hand trembled as it made the sign of the cross on my chest, over and over, tracing gentle lines over the scores in my flesh.

As I said, the dragon came suddenly—but I cannot say that I did not expect it. What one prays for, one must be prepared to receive, and my thoughts that night had succumbed to the malaise of the prison. I was praying to see the face of the reason for my torment when its foul maw appeared not inches before my eyes, followed closely by the flash of teeth and a glimpse of a gullet too long and dark for words.

The journey to the dragon’s stomach was mercifully quick. It is hard to describe what being swallowed is like, but I thought at the time that it was a bit like torture, where one enters a tunnel from which there is no entrance or exit, only the narrow focus of the next move. Heat from the dragon’s tissues scorched my clothes and hair and set my wounds aflame, every inch of my body alive with horror.

A dragon’s stomach can be likened to a cauldron filled with boiling water. By the time I landed within, still half-weeping, prayers flickering through my mind like a candle guttering in the wind, it had occurred to me, rather absurdly, that should I ever see my father's Provost again it would be well to tell him that the tortures he inflicted on others were no match for those that Hell could bestow upon those it hated; that he should leave the torturing to Satan altogether, and it would be much more satisfying for all parties. As I screamed at the touch of the stomach’s juices, I closed my eyes and drew every ounce of faith I could muster from within my  bones, my hand rising once more to form a shaky cross over my heart.

Then I was on the floor, retching, as the dragon cowered and shrieked above me. I watched with my cheek pressed to the cold dirt floor as the beast shivered and shrunk, down and down, until what faced me was merely a man—or seemed to be. He fell to his knees in the dark water at the center of the cell, his body gaunt and his breathing tormented.

Bit by bit, I raised myself onto unsteady feet. I took care not to make a sound, but my efforts were for naught: the man was weeping. When, finally, I could step forward with any vestige of steadfastness, I crossed the floor to stand behind him. With both hands, I gripped his shoulders and threw him to the floor, pressing my foot against his neck. Still he wept, but my tears had dried in my eyes from the heat of the dragon’s belly.

“Lie still, foul devil” I said, hearing the strength of God in my voice, “under the foot of this faithful woman. And tell me your name, so that I may banish you back to your Master.”

And that is my story. I had vanquished the devil, but in truth it is impossible to vanquish all of the evil that appears within our dungeons with a simple cross: the next morning I was brought to the executioner's block, and though through My Lord God I was able to die with dignity and courage, and though believers now speak my name with the respect a saint deserves, the lies my tormentors told of me are still all that is known about me.

Please see to it that others know the truth as well.



Source: The Life of St. Margaret, from The Golden Legend, edited by F. S. Ellis (1900)

Additional Resources Used: A History of the Death Penalty (PBS)
                                              Cauldron Use and Form (via the British Museum)
                                              More Info on St. Margaret of Antioch (via Wikipedia)

7 comments:

  1. Hey Kathryn! Wow you did such a great job at telling the story of St. Margaret being swallowed by the Dragon! The words you used to describe everything she felt from when she was in the jail cell to being in the dragons belly and then at the end when she gets the strength to take on the devil were spot on. I felt like I was right there when everything happened experiencing the same things! You really did a great job. I can’t wait to read your other stories in the upcoming weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was very well written! The beginning with its descriptive language was incredible. I like how you compared the drip of the water (in the dungeon) to the sound of an executioner's drum... I never would have thought of that. The words used to describe her journey down to the dragon's stomach was also amazing. You are just a really good writer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that was such a great story. You did such a great job of describing every feeling and detail of the story. I had a clear picture of the entire scene painted in my head. This was a bit gory but I can see why you needed the explicit descriptions to make your story come to life. Well Done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW, talk about a powerful story! I came back to read your portfolio for extra credit today because your writing style in your first story had impressed me, and I have definitely not been disappointed with your second story.

    I think you achieved your goal of a sensory experience of touch for sure. My skin crawled thinking of the pain that she must have endured, and my heart swelled at her strength through the lord. If you are looking for ways to edit, you may try adding one more type of sense to the equation--smell. I have found smell is extremely powerful for invoking the feeling of a place and situation. However, even if you never edit this story again it is wonderful. Well done on capturing the feelings of the situation so well. I am still very impressed with your work and look forward to reading your next portfolio story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kathryn! Wow, what a fantastic way to tell your story. You are such a good writer .you did a great job of telling every detail in this story where you made me imagine the whole picture in my head. I liked how you describe her journey down to the dragon’s stomach as Jasmine mentioned. I hope your semester going good. Great Work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kathryn. Wow. What a story. I did not think it would be so intense yet so great. Yes. I think it was a great story! I really like how you write. I admire your writing story because this is something I am not good at in writing. You deal with details and explanation which really helps me imagine things while I am reading. I love reading because reading gives me an imagination while I am observing, but they have to be great at expressing. Your way of writing was so great, I could see why you warned us before reading. It was gory for sure and because of how good you are at writing it actually made me feel little scared while reading. I did not know who St. Margaret was but your story really made me wonder about her and I will probably do some research about her during my free time. Great job at this story, I think your portfolio will look great! Keep up the good work, I really enjoyed your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kathryn! First off, I chose your story because of the name. "The consumption" was so intriguing and I feel like that's not a word used too often so it drew me in because I wanted to know who/what would be consumed. Further, I read in the intro line that it was about a dragon and a saint; Two things I haven't read any stories about yet this semester. I think it was great that you decided to focus this time on the sensory details; it was really evident to me that you put a lot of thought into them. Honestly great job, I could see, hear, and feel the story happening at some points and it was a really cool added dimension. I'm glad that the Saint was able to escape the dragon devil's belly but I'm sad that she still ended up killed anyway. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete